Saturday, June 6, 2009

Sophie Kinsella's Rebecca Bloomwood...Desi Ishtyle!

Before we launch into the actual discussion, what do we name our heroine of this blog...Usha-akka-deep-in-the-woods. [Most of my colleagues called me Maami and the younger ones called me Usha Akka...hence the name option]. Now that I have figured out a desi name, lets proceed further.
Just to give a quick BG[background...duh!]...Sophie Kinsella is the writer of the Shopaholic series of chick-lit books. And I can bet, most women can identify with the protagonist of that series-Rebecca Bloomwood. Rebecca was a shopaholic whose shopping skills stretched beyond anyone's imagination and obviously her credit limit on all the cards she owned that she takes to drastic ways, such as auctioning her stuff, etc to make money to pay off her debtors and over a course of 2 novels lands up a job as a Personal Shopper in one of the hep branded stores in US of A.[Well, most such reel-worthy stories are obviously good only for the reels...not reals]
Another quick snapshot of what I am intending in this post. I lead no glam life akin to Rebecca Bloomwood nor have I ever auctioned my stuff...forget going that far. I have never even been to an auction-house to even know what its insides look like. Nor am I not a shopaholic. Yet I know my boundaries and never buy anything on credit. But I am deep in the woods with respect to my thoughts and here goes the reason for it.
Pursuing the hobby of a Personal Shopper is one of my dreams. But then, not being in a single store, but rather have customers who would entrust their shopping errands[well, errands for them, but an avocation for me] to me. I buy items that I think might suit them, do a fitting session and exchange/return items not needed by the customer and also provide a cost advantage to the customer by spotting good deals where they pay only a fraction of the actual cost of their shopping. While this might mean multiple trips to a store[I am not complaining...'cause mall browsing is a hobby too, and it keeps me well-informed and busy too :=)] it would also mean a better rapport with the store and being able to get things returned/exchanged without an issue. They pay me a small monthly retainer for my services.
While I have managed to do this with my friends, obviously without charging them for it, I do see this as an avocation. Am sure many would think this is an idea too far-fetched. But considering the time-crunch a working woman faces, am sure a Personal shopper is an easy way out for those who detest shopping or who would like to dress well, yet are not sure of where/how to shop.
The hobby/career of a Personal Shopping Consultant does sound like an exciting one. I guess If I get to implement this idea, I might open an Academy for training and spawn a new career option and an allied industry...Future job-seekers...watch out for new career options. :-)

1 comment:

  1. Yeah a hobby turning into a business/career option sounds gr8 :)i say go for it!

    ReplyDelete